Little Beast, Big Beast.

   

Sneak attack morning in process.  Coffee finally beginning to work. So early.

The Beast Child is going back to school today after a wretched Christmas break of one health escapade after another. So, it was hard last night when poor Beast had to go to bed early after only one full day of feeling mostly recovered.  He text me the sweetest thing the other day while I was out errand running:

"Hey just wanted to let you know that this has been the worst Christmas Break ever (not Christmas) but I just wanted to thank you for looking out for me when though I don't like it when you do.  Love you (smiley face)."

My heart was full to bursting after reading this.  Sweet words indeed from a hulking man child.

He has a zero period class for work experience, so his first day back is in the wee hours of the morning.  We live too far out of town for buses, so I'll need to go start the car and defrost it shortly. 

He's just sat down next to me in a big and comfy leather, wood, and brass tacked ensemble that is in the study, we call it the Dead Guy Chair.  Long story.  He's drinking his coffee, looking so much older than I feel he should.  It really was just yesterday that we were collecting Thomas the Tank Engines together, and he was making spears and guns from sticks and running around with his dog.  

Sigh... I miss hearing Ringo's voice every day.  

...now I'm the mother who hosts proper wars for a dozen boys who traded in their sticks for air soft guns, cover themselves with war paint and camo, and enact scenario's inspired by The Walking Dead or Hunger Games.  Not too long from now and I'll be missing this too.  He'll be away from me as a trained soldier becoming a man.  Oh Gosh it's too early to think about this, no need for tears in my coffee.                            

 

***

The Snape surprised me as he came downstairs, all ready for the day and took him to school.  They both walked into the cold with grins on their handsome faces, and my heart aches with with so much love.  It's the best feeling in the world to watch your children becoming truly wonderful people.

Last night was full of Jim Carey Movies, buttery pasta and the laughter of the Beast Child, Troubadour Child, and The Snape.  It was pretty magical hearing all those baritone chuckles. The boys told funny stories on each other, told stories about snot (anyone who has boys will understand this is very, very normal), and how Troubadour deals with his constant sinus issues.  The Beast was explaining how Troubadour should just use a Nettie Pot,  and then just take a long time blowing his nose, and that he could even just go outside and blow 'snot rockets' without having to use a tissue. The Troubadour, with horrified expression, asked "You don't do that in the pool, do you?" 



Comments

Popular Posts