My Garden!

Oh my glorious garden!



The rows are full of ripe or ripening veg of all kinds, and today's harvest brought so many good things into my big old farm kitchen!  Plump green peppers, tomatillos, sweet red onion, jalapenos and fragrant bunches of cilantro.  That combo means one thing:

Chile Verde.



Oh heavens, thank you God for taste buds...and things that make them explode. 




This morning has just been an all around treat.  One of my rare and simple luxuries is getting to sit in the garden with my coffee before everyone is awake, The only sounds are the birds beginning to fuss over the day, and my own thoughts that I usually don't get to hear so clearly. Everything around me is green and tall and growing, vibrant,  healthy, and soul-filling.  The slow, rising heat of the morning sun awakens the scents of the earth and all the smells are nourishing.

Today I was examining  all the little green houses full of the Snape's rose starts.  He's chosen an array of colors, but mostly blood red.  He's got a thing for red roses.  It makes me smile, this timeless romantic mate of mine.  Just when I think he couldn't get any more 'mmmm' he decides to begin a delicious, massive rose garden as a hobby.  Have I ever mentioned how much I pant over this man?

Just a short time after coffee, our house became overrun with awakening little elves. They are a blessed result of one of Snape's long ago whirlwind love affair that produced an unexpected child, a child Snape didn't even know existed until the boy was ten years old.  Now there are grand children, and they are heart-stealing sprites.  Their visits give us all an excuse for fun art projects, and this time its Kool-aid play dough!  The littlest of them is taking a nap just now, her little apple cheeks rosy, and lashes so dark against porcelain skin. The oldest is playing Minecraft, and doing really well considering his age...and, actually, he might be more technologically savvy than the Snape and I put together.

The rest of our tribe are at the other parent's today, all except the Troubadour Child, although he will be off at a swimming party soon, and good thing too because the heat has settled upon us in the Central Valley.  The first 100 degree day will be blazing by 3pm today and with it the need to stay indoors with the air conditioning on.  And although I despise the heat, I do appreciate what it will do for my vegetables within the coming weeks.

Now, I need to go and clean the kitchen so I can be ready for today's activities!  Work before play, and then we play hard. 










Comments

Popular Posts