Off With Her Head.

I bake for the Red Queen. 

The bakery isn't called "The Red Queen."

What I mean is I bake for the Red Queen, a woman who has very much earned this title. 

The little town I work in, whose inhabitants also have a predisposition towards various kinds madness, is much too tiny for its own well being and the woman that I work for is the Red Queen.  You know that someone who has to bake all those jam tarts and four-and-twenty blackbirds baked in a pie?  Well, ladies and gents, that baker 'tis I.

*curtsies*

Today, I am very sorry to have to tell you, someone lost their head. 

It was my snowy-haired, saint-of-a-woman coworker who will be let go on Friday.

 My prayer is that she finds reemployment very soon, which will probably be challenging seeing as how she's 74. 
It's all very wrong.

But The Red Queen hath decreed, and however unfair the wind blew today, I shall be gaining more hours to cook.  Undoubtedly bitter and very little sweet.
  
It was with huge relief that just a little while ago I came home to the FarmCastle, climbed up to the tower library to write and to look out the window, through branches, thick with thousands of soothing leaves, to pretend that I can let it all go and just enjoy this safe place and await my husband, the Snape. 

Shaking off the sadness will be challenging.

So, I need to think of an upside, or else I'll cry in the dinner prep.

The up side? 

I work tomorrow and then get to enjoy several days of bliss with my snarky love.

The Snape has been so absorbed in his studies lately, and I have my finger's crossed that I'll get to enjoy his undivided attention at least once, which, I won't lie, will be the stuff dreams are brewed from.

 His commanding presence always gives me chills of delight when he first walks through the house, which will happen in a few minutes.

Thinking of more upsides...He's brilliant, mostly he knows it, and he has a half grin that kicks my legs right out from under me.  It's that smile that keeps me from being too sad.

Praying for my friend. Thankful for my Slytherin. And...ahhh....I hear he's just walked into the house 

Long, happy sigh. Do excuse me, please.

    

Comments

Popular Posts